Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

The Contractor's License

Contractor Licensing Requirements  You must be licensed if you will be doing work for compensation on private property in Littleton. The license process is intended to assure quality construction practices. There are several classifications of licenses depending on the type of construction you are qualified to perform. Application forms may be downloaded or are available from The Permit Center, and a reference check is made on past work; a written examination may be required, and the license is usually issued the day after the application is made. The application fee is based on the type of license. Only check or cash is accepted for licensing.

Submittal Requirements for a Building Permit

The construction drawings must be prepared and sealed by a licensed architect or Registered Professional Engineer licensed to practice in Colorado. A very important part of your submittal is the Code Analysis, the type of building, occupancy, and type of construction. Supplemental drawings will also be needed for the building's systems. A site specific soils report is also needed as well as a sign off by the fire district. Health department approval is needed if food service, a hospital, nursing homes, or public swimming pools are involved. The State Highway Department also must review and approve plans for developments that have access to state highways.

Submittal requirements will vary depending on the proposed project

  • Permits required: water heater, electric service upgrade, re-roofing, furnace, air conditioning unit or similar project, any type of deck, shed, attached or detached garage, patio cover or similar project. Building guides are available for use.

  • For a new home, submit the following: detailed site plan, engineered foundation design, framing plan, soils report, architectural drawings. For a complete list of requirements, contact the Permit Center at 303-795-3751 or email
  • Plan review fees are calculated based on project valuation and are collected at the time of application for permit. Effective June 15, 2020, and thereafter, applications for permit must be accompanied by the required plan review fees to be considered complete. Applications submitted without plan review fees may incur delays in processing.

Plan Review

All single-family, multi-family, commercial, and industrial permit applications are routed for approval by zoning, engineering, fire, and Codes Administration plan checkers. Minor corrections on the plans may be made with red lines; however, substantial corrections will need to be redrawn and resubmitted. If conflicts arise in the requirements, you may have your case reviewed by the Board of Appeals.

The Board of Appeals

This board consists of architects, engineers, and contractors who are charged with the final interpretation of the building code. While the Board of Appeals may overturn a decision of the Code Administrator/Chief Building Official, they may not vary or waive the minimum code standards. You may consult the Board of Appeals before, during, or after the plan review process.

Permit Application

Building Permits  Submittal requirements will depend upon the complexity of the project. Fees are payable upon issuance of the building permit and are based on the valuation of the project as assessed by the building official. Call 303-795-3751 for more information.

Please note: Permit Applications moved to an electronic process via eTRAKiT and paper applications will no longer be available nor accepted.

Construction and Inspections

Schedule An Inspection  Inspections are requested when different phases of construction are completed. For example, if you are requesting a rough plumbing inspection, all the piping for the waste and vents, water pipe and gas piping must be installed and tested. The rough plumbing, rough electric and rough heating must be inspected and approved before a rough framing inspection is requested.

Please note: Building Inspections must be requested through the eTRAKiT portal and not by telephone.

Work in the Public Rights-of-Way

The City of Littleton has a number of regulations concerning construction activity in any publicly-owned rights-of-way. Note, a sewer permit will allow work within the City's right-of-way. A right-of-way permit is not required if a sewer permit is issued. For right-of-way permits, visit eTRAKiT Portal or contact Development Review at 303-795-3752. For placing a dumpster or pod in the street, contact public works at 303-795-3834 or fill out the Dumpster/Pod Permit Request Form.

Certificate of Occupancy

The Certificate of Occupancy (CO) is normally issued following the final inspections when the structure is completed. However, the City recognizes that large, complex projects may require that certificates be issued on a temporary basis as development phases are completed. In these instances, there is a requirement for all weather access to the project. Also, surety must be posted for all uncompleted public and private improvements. As work is finished, the amount of surety can be reduced or released.

Keep in mind that other city departments including, but not limited to, Planning, Zoning and Fire must approve your CO before you will receive it.

Building Codes

Visit the Building Codes and Requirements page to view which codes have been adopted by the City of Littleton.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer